As I make the transition into my new role at PHS, the IB program is going to continue to transform. Due to this, the jobs of both IB Director and MYP Coordinator will also be evolving. So, I want a little feedback. What do you think the primary role of the MYP coordinator should be? What do you appreciate about the position now? As the program continues to grow, what would you like to see change about the position?
(This could address any aspect of the position or one that doesn't presently exist, but you'd like to see.)
Please feel free to comment anonymously on this question.

Please come visit us in our classrooms. I know it's your goal, and I know it's really hard to get to. But I'd love to share what's going on in my classroom with you. And I want you to know these new kids, and for them to know you.
ReplyDeleteThat is the plan... and, yes, it is very hard. But now that Personal Project stuff is (somewhat) up and running, I'd like to get to at least 2 or 3 per week. It will take time but I really miss my connections with the 9th graders. I need to find a way to create one. This is the beginning of that.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate that you've been respectful of all that teaching entails and that you understand the challenges we're up against. Your primary role? Tie the loose ends of MYP, help coordinate so that a vision becomes applied or executed as best as can be, and serve as the go-to and foundation for Personal Projects. And you likely get to be the "administrator" of MYP when it comes to student concerns about grades, discipline, and other fun things.
ReplyDeleteKeep us on the straight and narrow. GOOD LUCK!!!
ReplyDeleteJust keep telling me what I need to get done. I have faith that you will do what you need to be doing.
ReplyDeleteI REALLY appreciate the fact that all MYP/IB leaders at Poudre have always been so knowledgable in MYP/IB lingo, theories, and processes. Yes, this includes you, Jason! It's nice to know that when we have a question, we can always get an answer! As for how I would like to see this grow...I really am not sure. I'll have to think about it.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I'd echo Elissa and say that reminders are helpful. You can help us keep track of "things" with emails...the more of that you can do, the better.
ReplyDeleteI see the MYP coodinator as a complex filter. MYP sends so much stuff our way- it drives me nuts! I have enough to do without constantly having one more academic task courtesy of MYP. The moving target environment this creates (ie:constantly modifying things)makes me crazy.
ReplyDeleteGood goal Jason to visit classrooms. Hopefully you will get time also to "follow-up" with visitations. No substitute for seeing what's going on out there. Perhaps you could visit us as a department. See if we are still in line with what we are doing. We are good at coordinating units. However, I think our weakness is colaborating on how we engage our students in discussion using areas of interation. I think we could focus much deeper together from our essential question.
ReplyDeleteHelping provide the best resources and training for the program.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your openness to comments and suggestions thus far, thanks. I like to continue pushing the technology pieces like ning and blogspot type things, so I think you should keep some focus on managing this side of things (keeping the district open to these endeavors, finding new ways to connect with kids, being a resource to have when help is needed). Of course you will have many other roles, but this is one that I see really adding value in this day and age.
ReplyDeleteHelp make connections from a world of IB and the regular student.
ReplyDeleteHold the pieces together....it's easy to stay in our little world and loose the big picture. And kids need a place to turn when life is overwhelming. You support the counseling dept with emotional well being, I think.
ReplyDeleteKeep connecting with our kidos! Your are doing a great job so far. But like I said before, since are population is changing our students will need you more and more as a support system. I really appreciate how you and Lisa empathize with the kids and they seem so willing to come and talk to you. Help us keep organized to help them keep balanced.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Scott that it is great how you are trying to make it into so many classrooms! I think that is an administrative piece that is often lost (mainly due to lack of time!), but that is one of the, if not the most important pieces!
ReplyDeleteYou've heard this before, but it would be wonderful to have you in our classrooms -- even if it's just a "drop-in" visit for 20 minutes. Also, I appreciate having you as a resource with any student who is struggling (I like the idea of lunch meetings to discuss common challenges). Finally, don't give us unnecessary stuff to do -- plan, organize, and streamline for all of us. You are the middle man who protects us from drowning in all the stuff we're asked to do. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteTo support the kids in the program, especially the freshman. I think that they need extra support in grades, behavior, etc. ( I wish we could do this for all freshman).
ReplyDeleteI need help writing more unit planners.
ReplyDeleteFor me the role of the MYP coordinator is to help me implement MYP in my classroom.
ReplyDeleteI envision that the MYP coordinator is acting as a liaison for students, parents and staff. Also, continually researching new practices, rules and IB changes. The coordinator plans upcoming events and meetings, reminds the MYP staff of duties, organizes personal projects, and helps the staff to implement MYP curriculum. I think you seem on top of it!! I'm sure there's even more involved.....including a lot of organization!! Thanks for everything you do!!
ReplyDeleteThe job should be about supporting kids first. After that, helping teachers meet MYP expectations and keeping up with the continually evolving guidelines is so important. This is all currently in place. I appreciate your willingness to take risks and that you are making this your position already by making changes that fit you. That is all I have time to write.
ReplyDeleteI would like to try to find a way to go back to when we used to address specific student issues as a whole group. So if a certain student is struggling in all classes, we don't all call the parents.
ReplyDeleteGiving us a time and space to engage in professional conversations as a MYP group would be awesome. I'd love to really engage with the other MYP teachers beyond our required evaluation documents to explore what we really need and want. A couple of ideas that I am wondering about: (1) As we embrace the concept of an all-inclusive MYP model, we are becoming more and more in need of assistance for students with ESL issues, 504's IEP's etc. I am not sure where or how we really meet these kids' needs as they begin to become a larger population in our classes; (2) what if we had a chunk of time to go through and revise and delete the hundreds of documents that need to be tweaked or deleted from the numerous handing down of our curriculum (others may be in the same position? This would be a great time to continue to revise old AoI's,UQ's, etc.; (3) Hopefully, you will communicate amongst all of our different teams--come visit us and continue to engage in professioanl conversations within small groups and all of our MYP staff.
ReplyDeleteI like the way MYP(IB in general,really)allows us to grow as teachers and planners in a very cooppeative environment. This is a gift, I think. I also think it's cool Jason that you have engaged us in meaningful conversations with each other. Human contact is good.
ReplyDeleteI see the role as a focal point for all the information and teaching strategies for the MYP program. You are very knowledgable and well-suited for the job. It's easy, at least for me, to get lost in the paperwork. Continue to ensure that teaching is about students first.
ReplyDelete