We often speak of MYP being about process more than product. I believe that should be reflected in our teaching and growth within the program. In relation to your work in the MYP program, what is your personal goal this year? What aspect(s) of the program do you want to grow the most in? How will you attack this?
My goal is to help my 9th grade Humanities team put together some really great revised units. This summer, we gave ourselves permission to cut 2 units and let go of our major research project. All the time we've got now is great - and it's not even enough. So, purposeful planning and teaching of these newly revised units is my goal. Plus, I guess I better address that Learner Profile issue I raised above. Maybe I can find one way to deal with the Learner Profile in each unit.
ReplyDeleteI hope to learn as much about it this year as I can -- and, in case I'm teaching MYP again next year -- so I'll be able to intentionally teach aspects of it better. There's much to learn.
ReplyDeleteDo something cool with a History teacher.
ReplyDeleteFor the past few years we have changed the curriculum to the Foundations of PE class and the PE I class EVERY YEAR! I would like to get our course outlines set for these 2 classes and then really be able to compare what we are doing from teacher to teacher and what is working best. When we change the curriculum so often, it makes it really difficult to move forward and growj. I'm hoping that the MYP course outline can be our vehicle to help us stay on track this year.
ReplyDeleteMy personal MYP goal is to legitmately meet the mininimum requirements. I want to make it "fit" better with my curriculum rather than having it be an add on.
ReplyDeleteGoal: to find a way to work within a working structure and be open to current issues and relevancy.
ReplyDeleteI would like to put more MYP art up for display. With everything else that's going on...well, it leaves little time for putting art up in the library and hall, etc.
ReplyDeleteI would like to continue refine the Chemistry criteria assignments so that I am more confident that they adequately address the criteria and are they are engaging for my students. In some cases I feel what I have developed is forced and have a difficult time finding a natural fit within my curriculum.
ReplyDeleteI would like to understand how to put the units and curriculm together in the new format. Also, I am interested in learning more about standards based grading.
ReplyDeleteI need to work on incorporating the Areas of Interaction into our units in a way that makes sense, it doesn't always fit naturally for me.
ReplyDeleteCommunicate standards-based grading often with students and how their daily performance is evaluated with MYP rubrics. This year, I will be asking students to chart their own progress on skills in addition to having it posted on PIV. Also, I am focusing on more student reflection as to "self-improvement" through goals, interventions and self-reflection.
ReplyDeleteAs our IB community becomes more inclusive, I want to really make sure that IB is a place for every type of learner. I want to think of ways to differentiate, but still maitain the relevent rigor that we've always upheld. I believe that focusing on the areas of interations as well as the learner profile will help us continue to provide support ALL students.
ReplyDeleteI am interested in Gordon calling me a "cool history teacher," yet I'm inclined to think it might be more fun and relevant for students to pick areas of interdisciplinary study that "grab" them. Anyway, thanks Gordon.
ReplyDeleteOne goal is that our PE department is all using MYP criterion for assessment and that the standards for class to class grading is very similar through our department. If a kid gets an A or an F in one class it is similar to another classes grading.
ReplyDelete-To empower stduents' skills and ownership in their writing by increasing student investment in both the writing and assessment process.
ReplyDelete- To continue conversations with my team to revise and edit our curriculum. Distinguishing between "R"igor and rigor(especially in lieu of six classes next year).
Gordon, take Chris on a fun vacation. That would be doing something with a "cool history teacher". :-)
ReplyDeleteMy personal goal is to revise the MYP Language A curriculum with Emily and Kayla.
Another goal would be to incorporate more authentic reflection into my classes.
My goal is to meet the needs of every student in my classroom, and create challenges and opportunities for every type of learner. My MYP classes are mixed, and I worry that my IB kiddos aren't getting enough of a challenge in the classroom! Having a wide range of students makes it hard....but I know I need to focus on incorporating the AOI's and bigger questions daily. I'm going to get better!! :)
ReplyDeleteI would like to do a better job of incorporating and referring to the essential question of my units in my daily activities.
ReplyDeleteChristy - I feel like I don't do a great job with the AOIs either! I know it makes sense and it flows easy, but I have a problem making it all fit in our short class.
ReplyDeleteSince I have not thought about the learner profile yet, this will be my goal. I want to think about these and be able to implement them into my class.
ReplyDeleteI am looking forward to becoming more comfortable and proficient in utilizing the proper IB/MYP acronym, abbreviation, labels and lingo so I know what everyone else is talking about.
ReplyDeleteI am working backwards from two authentic assessments I used last year to make my lessons more authentic, while incorporating the areas of interaction into the math curriculum.
ReplyDeleteI agree with a lot of posts. I would also like to be more intentional in what I do. I do need constant reminders!
ReplyDeleteMarcie P- changing the curric. is too hard. We need to keep it the same and go and get better as a department.
ReplyDeleteReally I just want to absorb all the things that MYP entails and find way to incorporate it into my "normal" content.
ReplyDeleteJason, is there a way for you to find resources for us to meet in various teams? We could use collaboration/planning time. I know I'm asking for a miracle in this economy, but it's a goal. :-)
ReplyDeleteThis may not fit in with any of the threads of coversations, but I worry that I will get swallowed up in MYP philosophy and lose a part of my artist self. Sometimes I get tired of all the thinking and goal setting and just want to enjoy the creative process. Am I alone in this?
ReplyDeleteGoal: to teach more content alongside skills. So far, so good.
ReplyDelete