Since the focus of this year's IB meetings is going to be the learner profile and we've already started discussing how it looks within ourselves, let's start there.
What is one way that you address a specific Learner Profile characteristic in your classroom? Do you address this because it is a strength or a weakness of our students? If you don't presently do so, what ideas do you have for how you could?

Okay, I'll be frank. I forget to think about the Learner Profile when we plan units, or when I plan how to deliver my lessons. It's a really good thing you've made this our goal! I don't think I'm neglecting it - I'm just not focusing on it with any intention. Yikes!
ReplyDeleteI certainly don't have the Learner Profile memorized yet what I do remember about tells me that I use it because I know them to be qualities that I value in students. I hope students become tolerant, critical thinkers who listen, respect each other and themselves, and work to improve in many ways.
ReplyDeleteIn all of my PE classes, I try to stress communication between student and teacher. The majority of my classes are freshmen and I try to stress the importance of communicating with the teacher if you are going to be absent for any reason. By talking about this up front and addressing it weekly in our Personal Engagement grade, I really believe that the majority of students do a good job in communicating attendance issues with me. At least they're starting to!
ReplyDeleteI think the Learner Profile traits are imbedded within the lessons we all teach. I comment on them from time to time, but adding them as an overt part of the lesson- it's just too much.
ReplyDeleteEmily and I created Learner Profile squares for our freshmen which turned out great. Come to my room to see the big quilt of squares. Students and I were really excited because all of the learner profile traits directly related back to our definition of a hero. Kids are seeing that what the learner profile represents is what we value within our cultural heros. Cute!
ReplyDeleteEmily, Kayla, and I did some Learner Profile at the very beginning of the year, but now I am personally not focusing on this as much as I should. I think the profile I emphasize the most is risk-taker because I want kids to take the positive risks necessary to learn and experience new things.
ReplyDeleteI don't presently address a specific Learner Profile characteristic in my classroom and I do not have any ideas as to how I would.
ReplyDeleteI do not have all the characteristics of Learner Profile memorized yet. I have the list on my desk. I haven't been in the habit yet of focusing on any particular one when designing my lesson plan. I think it would be easy to do in World language. We discuss daily perspectives of cultures throughout Latin America.
ReplyDeleteKayla, Colleen and I use the LP on a daily basis in a holistic manner: students are expected to engage actively using the LP traits as world-learners and inquires via their behavior as well as throughout daily lessons. Kayla and I create a LP "wall" that each student creates in the first week of school in which they find a picture and explanation that represents their best or weakest LP trait.
ReplyDeleteI would agree with Megan's comments in regards to humanities, it is not something that we overtly address in planning units or daily lessons but we are discussing the elements in class because the qualities of the profile are something that as a group of teachers we value.
ReplyDeleteJust a reminder...
ReplyDeleteBalanced
Reflective
Risk-Taker
Caring
Communicator
Knowledgable
Principled
Inquirer
Open-minded
Thinkers
Communicator and Open-minded
ReplyDeleteI will have them prepare a persuasive document (video, letter to editor etc) regarding sustainable development after returning from the Sustainable Living Fair field trip. Topics will range from what to do about our energy choices, food choices, and how biomimcry is being used to push our technology forward.
I would like to focus on one of the traits each week or each unit. I actually forgot about it until now. I also have a student teacher for my MYP class so I will have to figure that out.
ReplyDeleteI am intrigued by Kayla's quilt and that idea. Kathie and I already feel pressed for time, like most of us likely do, and we are at the 10th grade level. However, I appreciate lessons that focus on qualities that the Learner Profile presents and would be intrigued to create one in some fashion.
ReplyDeleteKayla
ReplyDeleteThe quilt square sounds interesting. I would love to see your quilt, maybe borrow it for winter break to sit next to the fireplace sippin' hot chocolate.
In my classroom we always return to the idea of being "Open-Minded." I stress this trait often! Many of the lessons and our discussions are based upon having culturally-open viewpoints, and diverse perspectives. I do need to do an activity where we actually address EACH trait! I know they are embedded in the lessons, but not individually stressed. I will make a goal of accomplishing this soon!!! :)
ReplyDeleteI am seeing several references to embedding these traits in our lessons or teaching them as part of how we expect our students to grow and learn. I agree we all do that. I'm wondering if MYP wants more. Are we actually supposed to be directly and specifically identify traits and show how/where these are being taught?
ReplyDeleteRegarding Jason's reminder: How about responsibility as a part of the profile? Then, kids would fess up to their parents as to why their grades are in the toilet, and Lisa might not be getting so many calls.
ReplyDeleteWhat I like is that some of us are more overt than others in teaching the LP. My goal is that we ALL are giving kids opportunities to use and address these characteristics in class. Whether you are labeling it or not is up to you. But it should be imbedded in your lessons. Those of you that are overt are allowing the kids to directly address them and increase their awareness in other classes.
ReplyDeleteI am with Megan. I have not even thought of the learner profile as I have started this year.
ReplyDeleteThe quilt was a great way to build unity in the class and program, English teachers. I wonder if there's a way for one 10th grade course to return to it a year later...I don't think we want to hammer it too much.
ReplyDeleteJulie L - I like what you posted about having the traits imbedded in what you teach. I feel that they are very imbedded in our PE curriculum as well.
ReplyDeleteI do not have a lesson that directly addresses the learner profile. I do hope that I focus on the balanced student and give students a variety of opportunities in class.
ReplyDeleteI don't. Think CSAP.
ReplyDeleteI don't think I purposefully address these, but a lot of them do get addressed through the activities and projects we do in class.
ReplyDeleteI also feel like they are imbedded in the curriculum. However, I wonder if the kids would be able to identify them.
ReplyDeleteEllisa P- I agree. I have forgotten about these until now.
ReplyDeleteJason- that's an interesting idea.. I have I have kids reflect in their Developmental worbooks frequently. It would be interesting to have them connect one of the projects in Design class with a Learner Profile trait. I wonder what the kids would say?
ReplyDeleteMaybe Gordon's comments about responsibility actually fall under the IB LP trait of "Principled."
ReplyDeleteThe weakest for both myself and my students is balance. I am addressing this in class and even as I type. Brevity: I love it!
ReplyDelete